20 December 2018
eVision was pleased to host Domain Driven Design NL’s (DDD NL) Meetup on 13 December, where attendees exchanged practical advice on how to promote DDD thinking inside their organisations – and, of course, enjoyed dinner, drinks and socializing.
Marijn Huizendveld, the founder of DDD NL, shared his strategy for ensuring Domain Driven Design receives buy-in at all levels of the organisation, based on his observations at various companies, over six years. About half of the audience said they already used DDD principles in their daily work, but the group agreed that making design thinking successful requires investing in skills and practice
Marijn Huizendveld’s key habits for success:
- Domain expertise. Good teams really listen to domain experts and observe, not trying to interpret. Just ask why, why, why. You cannot make decisions without domain knowledge.
- Management buy-in. Whoever pays the bills must understand why we do DDD and must give us a mandate that is long enough to allow us to implement DDD successfully.
- Feature toggle everything. Put things out there fast to see how they work out. To make this successful, teams need a robust process of testing and commit to solid CI pipeline, to reduce the burden of code reviews. Commit early; commit often.
- People. Listen to your environment. Teams should develop a ubiquitous language and shape it together. This is not just verbal or written; it is also visual. Do not come up with solutions within silos. Work out the hows with your domain expert. Try event storming.
- Have skin in the game. Successful software designers get into the complexity of the code, understanding that their decisions affect other parts of the organisation. You have to be able to say no. Ask the requestor, “Why we should do X over Y?” to prevent edge cases from ruining your design model. You are the technological conscience of the organisation.
About DDD NL
DDD NL is a community in the Netherlands for people who practice Domain Driven Design. DDD NL creates a platform for developers of all skill levels to discuss ideas and exchange experiences in order to broaden everyone’s understanding of Domain Driven Design.
eVision Industry Software creates best-in-class Control of Work software. Innovative solutions that improve the way oil, gas, chemical and other hazardous industries operate on a global and local scale. eVision enables you to increase the safety and speed of your operations, supporting you in reaching your operational excellence and safety objectives. eVision solutions are fully configurable to match your organization’s wishes and requirements while ensuring unprecedented ease-of-use and full compliance with the latest protocols and regulations.
Major organisations such as Shell, Equinor, BP, Qatar Petroleum, Repsol-Sinopec and many more have selected eVision as their Control of Work vendor of choice, solidifying eVision as industry leader of its domain. With offices worldwide and partnerships with the world’s leading system integrators, eVision provides high-quality delivery and support, on location, at all times. For more information, please visit www.evision-software.com.