What about us?
As market leaders, we have high expectations of ourselves and strive for continuous improvement. We work with the best, to be the best. The secret to our success is simple: we keep learning and exploring. We have our eyes set on the world and want to offer our safety software globally, to complex businesses across different industries. We are the market-leading company in Control of Work software, supporting thousands of users from across the globe, at top multinationals. In the lovely city of The Hague, The Netherlands, we represent a mix of many diverse cultures, with over 30 nationalities on our team.
What are your accountabilities?
As an Engineering Manager, you will be leading an agile team of software engineers and team leads, who create and maintain a wide portfolio of globally distributed products that address core safety needs of industry leaders. You will drive the performance of the engineering team on architecture, process improvement, collaboration and product quality. This hands-on leadership role consists of a combination of strategic and operational responsibilities, such as representing your teams in consultation with senior management and closing operational gaps. The estimated balance between leading the teams and driving change is 50/50.
The Engineering Manager is driving the success of the teams and creates and facilitates an environment in which teams can thrive. You will supervise all activities associated with the development and improvement of our software products. You will also drive changes towards improving the performance of the Engineering organisation in domains/areas such as process, team synergy, product quality or architecture.
Your responsibilities include:
- Working closely with Team Leads, Product Managers and Product Owners on defining product and team objectives
- Managing, coaching and mentoring software development teams, composed of software engineers, UX/UI-Designers & Engineers, Quality Assurance Engineers and Product Operations Engineers. Most of the team is based in the Hague, with some partner-led colleagues working remotely
- The well-being of the team, their work performance, development, education and training - maintaining standards of behaviour, promoting mutual respect and dignity and leading by example
- Providing regular reporting on product releases, innovation and achievements, which demonstrate the market value of the Engineering deliverables, in collaboration with the Product Manager(s)
- Resourcing of the teams, cloud spend and licensing
- Taking ownership and leading the implementation of various software development-related improvement initiatives
- Contributing to technology design and enterprise decisions across multiple applications and business systems
What are we looking for in you?
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in computer science
- Evidence of live software products developed and released under his/her supervision in the past two years
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer with leadership responsibilities
- Strong people management skills and experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment in an Agile setting
- Driving a culture of trust, cooperation, honest feedback and focus on value for the market/customer
- Understanding of all phases of the product development life cycle and how to apply the appropriate methodologies and processes to the situation at hand
- Competent in presenting technical and business information to a range of audiences including senior leadership and non-technical audiences
- Experience with working in a very dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
- Creative, dependable and trustworthy, with a can-do attitude
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to make the right decisions with sometimes limited information, in a fast-paced environment
- Highly self-disciplined and self-directed
Why work with us?
- Because our product matters to people – it saves lives
- Because we work with the global leaders in the oil and gas industry – including Shell, BP, and Total
- Because we are serious and pragmatic about our technology and quality
- Because the brightest and most professional people, who believe that teams are the key to our continuous success, work with us
- Because we are fun, multicultural and have a dry, genuine sense of humour
What do we offer you?
- A competitive salary
- Free access to our company gym
- Bi-weekly chair massages
- Company lunch, free fruit and drinks
- Friday drinks with colleagues
- Our headquarters are in the heart of The Hague (5 minutes from The Hague Central Station)
- Fun and outgoing colleagues